Sunday night I decided to get my nose pierced, something I have wanted to have done for the past couple of years. But seeing as how I already have 10 tattoos I felt adding a piercing would be too much; especially for attaining employment in America. But alas I am in India, and almost every woman I have seen has their nose pierced. I went with my friend Cajol, a girl from Brazil who has been here for about a year. She took me to the shop where she had her nose pierced, and since her nose has not fallen off I figured it would be safe. The place was a jewelry shop near the Assi Ghat by the Ganges River. We first removed our shoes and left them on the footsteps of the shop. In the shop was a group of what looked like "Asian gangsters" purchasing large quantities of jewelry. But of course I am a bit dramatic and they were probably nice boys buying jewelry for their mothers. After waiting about 10 minutes for what seemed like no reason, basically because you have to wait for everything here, the owner washed up then marked my nose with a marker. The piercing with silver jewelry included cost a total of 100 rupees, about $2.15. I was reminded of Lulu, one of my Hope House girls who did the piercings for all the Neighborhood Kids.
I sleep with the covers over my head since it has been so cold we can see our breath while inside our house. Last night, or rather early this morning a thread from my blanket had caught on to my nose ring. As I adjusted my body and covers around I ripped the nose ring out and flung it across the room. I was too warm to get up and look for it and did not want to disturb my roommates. Thus I went back to sleep. As we awoke the girls helped me find my nose ring and I started the procedure of cleaning the area as well as the ring. Then I had to stab it through my epidermis again. Of course this all occurred with the help of some mustard oil given to me by my Indian roommates. They are all so caring and want to be involved in everything, something that I am actually struggling with as I am in introvert, and very independent. But I am adjusting and learning how to be with them in relation and not task.
No comments:
Post a Comment